Sunday, June 7, 2009

Yoga for kids linkies

From 2001 to 2005 I had a children's yoga business in South Florida. As a classroom teacher, I observed first hand the differences in children who had some breathwork and training to help regulate their energy levels during a busy day. Outside the classroom, I taught yoga at a local studio, in private home sessions, at community centers and to Girl Scout groups. I had one regular private group of 2-4 girls for over a year, and in that time we really developed the idea of self-reliance and management of stress, two issues which I believe kids today need desperately.

At the local studio, I taught one afterschool group of 5 first grade boys with LOTS of energy (3 of whom happened to be in my first grade class at the time) With them, we always started the class with some laughter and "log-rolling" to help get some excess energy out and set boundaries for the class. Since moving to the west coast in 2005, I no longer have the business, but I am still able to incorporate some breathing and stretching into my kindergarten classes.

Below are some fun kids yoga linkies (so many more than when I first started researching kids' yoga in 2000!) Enjoy!

Global Family Yoga Blog
Yoga 4 Kids
Radiant Child Yoga Program
Next Generation Yoga (where I did my training in July 2002)
Jodi Komitor from NGY preschool yoga video clips at Activity TV

Enjoy this post? Why not subscribe via RSS or email?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin